Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Let's Get Crafty - Canvas Paintings


Hello darlings,

Over this past holiday weekend I got to spend some time at home. And of course I spent that time crafting!


Here's how to make your own!

What you need (Pink cheetah print one):


- Canvas (I used 12x12)
- Paint Brush
- Acrylic Paint
- Stencil
- Stencil Paint Brush
- Finishing Spray

For the "M": 
-Card stock 
-Printer
-X-acto Knife

How to:

Step 1: I started off by laying down a cut up brown paper bag so I wouldn't get any paint on the table.
Step 2: I used a small bottle of pink acrylic paint (water based) to paint the first coat on the canvas.

Step 3: After the first coat dried, I use a tube of hot pink acrylic paint (from the painters section in Michael's) to paint the top coat.


Step 4: As the paint was drying, I used an X-acto Knife to cut the "M" stencil. I had printed the "M" from Word onto a piece of card stock (because it is thicker that regular paper). After cutting the "M" out I used the piece of paper with the missing "M" to stencil the letter onto the canvas. 




*I used black Martha Stewart acrylic paint for the M*

Step 5: I used the cheetah print stencil to add the cheetah print to the sides of the "M" with the stencil brushes. I used silver glitter Martha Stewart paint. After each use of the stencil I rinsed it off and dried it before placing it back on the canvas to add more print. 


Step 6: I used a clear finishing spray paint to seal everything in once the painting had dried over night. 

And ta-da! I made this for one of my friends, I'm going to give it to her as part of her Christmas present. 

*When painting the canvas the base color, make sure that you paint the sides of the canvas too. 


What you need (Blue/Silver Chevron): 

-Canvas (12x12)
-Silver Glitter Spray Paint
-Blue Acrylic paint
-Masking Tape
-Cardboard 
-Scissors
-Ruler
-Brown Paper Bag
-Finishing Spary

How to: 

Step 1: I started by measuring and cutting a piece of cardboard using a rule in the Chevron pattern. Since my canvas was 12x12, I had the points every 1.5 inches. 


Step 2: I used the making take to transfer the Chevron pattern on to the canvas, carefully lining us the corners to make perfect intersections. 




Step 3: I cut pieces of a brown paper bag and taped them down over the sections of the chevron that I wanted to painted blue. 


Step 4: I took the canvas outside and used the Silver Glitter Spray Paint and sprayed the canvas, including the sides. 


Step 5: After letting the spray paint dry over night, I took the piece of paper bag off the canvas. And I painted these spaces with the blue paint. 



Step 6: Once the blue paint was dry, I took the tape off the canvas. Then I took the canvas outside and sprayed it with the clear finishing spray. 

*With this the finished spray is very important because the glitter falls and rubs off if you don't spray a finishing spray on top.*


And bam! Chevron beauty!

I made this one for myself to add to my collection of crafts hanging in my dorm room! I love it!

I hope you enjoy! Happy Crafting! 
gMe


No comments:

Post a Comment